boat, coconut grove, coconut grove art festival, cruisers, dinner key, Dinner Key Mooring Facility, doing laundry, fish taco, flanigan's, friends, grove art, happy hour, happy hours, humid, jam festival, joe's meal deals, laundry, Miami, miami boat show, mildew, mold, Morning Sock, mr. moe, new, smell, The Sandbar, top 3, weather
After spending half the day doing laundry here at the Dinner Key Mooring Facility, I met many new friends while I wanted around for my turn to do our laundry. At the office they have two washers and two dryers, so we waited around making our way through our never ending laundry. I kept thinking this whole laundry thing would be much better with a beer in hand on this hot day. Yum, happy hour…..
But, as I have mentioned before first of all, I hate laundry just as much as the next person. What do I hate more? When you wake up and discover as a result of the rainy humid weather we have had over the last week, we have some mold spores creeping around the boat behind corners and articles around the boat. This will also make boat cleaning day/days to be in my near future cleaning out all the lockers to prevent the spores from this spreading. So as a result, lots of laundry to wash away the mildew smell.
Here in Coconut Grove this weekend there are a lot of large events going on. First we have the Coconut Grove Art Festival right here along the waterway in front of Dinner Key Marina, the Miami Boat Show and the first annual Miami Jam Festival. So much to do, not enough time! So while we work away on the boat and Morning Sock we will sneak in some time at the Art Festival this weekend. Unfortunately the boat show may not be in our plans this year.
So after meeting all my new cruising friends in the laundry room (isn’t that the gathering place of all cruisers?), I found out that a lot of them are new to the marina or are in need of knowing where to go and what to do in this town. Not that I am by any means an expert of where to go or what to do, I have been here for almost two months and have figured out where some good spots are. That does include some of the best happy hours within walking distance of the marina. I will be posting more in the future of other places that we love around town as well.
These are just the few that we love here around town for happy hour. If you know of some more great spots we would love to know. And as always we would love any comments. Show us some love!
Our Top 3 Happy Hours in Coconut Grove (all in walking distance of Dinner Key Marina):
1. The Sandbar - “Home of the fish taco – where we don’t run from hurricanes…we drink UM. Can you weather a category 5?”
Great atmosphere and staff. They have awesome fish tacos like they claim, as well as delicious wings and an amazing grilled mahi-mahi sandwich or wrap.
- Monday: 1/2 Priced Tacos all day (awesome fish tacos!)
- Tuesday: $5.99 lunch specials, 2 for Tuesdays, $2 Domestic Pints
- Wednesday:$5.99 lunch specials, Penny Beer Night, Kids Eat Free 4-10pm, 1/2 Priced hurricanes all day
- Thursday: College Night & Ladies Night. Ladies 1/2 price 10pm-close, $3 bottled beer specials, DJ & Dancing
- Friday: Team Trivia, Kickball Night, DJ & Dancing, Beer Specials
- Saturday: Brunch 10am-2pm, $10 bottomless mimosas 10am-1pm, $3.75 bloody marys, beer specials, DJ & Dancing
- Sunday: Brunch 10am-2pm, $10 bottomless mimosas 10am-1pm, $3.75 bloody marys
2. Mr. Moe’s Restaurant & Bar - “Located in the heart of Coconut Grove, the concept of a log cabin in a tropical climate may at first glance seem unlikely. However, it is actually a welcome retreat for those who enjoy the warmth of a cozy fireplace and well made home-cooked meal.”
Cool little joint that does look out of place. We love the look of the place especially the rocking booths they have outside. Great to sit out there and people watch while you sit back for a cold beer and some great food.
- Happy Hour 11:30 am – 8:00 pm
- Happy Hour food, most appetizers are 2 for 1 – our favorites are #1 Quesadillas that are enough for a whole meal (arm tortillas sandwiched with jack, cheddar, sauteed onions, peppers. Served with pico the gallo, black beans, guacamole and sour cream) #2 Log Jammers (Handmade egg rolls, stuffed with spicy chicken, cheddar, jack and goat cheese; onions black beans and Moe’s secret spices),
- Beer Specials All Week
- Over 35 Beers & Hard Ciders
- 7 Nights a Week Entertainment
- Pool Table
- Arcade Games
3. Flanigan’s - “Flanigan’s has been around for over 50 years, and any business that has been around that long has got to be doing something right. Famous for legendary baby back ribs.” We haven’t been there yet but supposed to have the best ribs around!
- Lunch Specials: $5.99 Lunch with beverage purchase Mon-Friday 11am-4pm. Choices include Fresh 10 ounce burger with potato or rice, Fresh BBQ 1/2 chicken with potato or rice, Homemade Soup & Sandwich, Homemade Soup & Salad, Blackened Tilapia Sandwich with Potato or Rice, Pasta Salad with Homemade Crab, Tuna or Chicken Salad, BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Potato or Rice or Ten Wings with Potato or rice.
- Joe’s Meal Deals: Starting at $12.99, includes potato or rice, a Caesar salad, garlic rolls, and a free beverage of domestic draft beer, house wine, soda, iced tea, bottled water or lemonade *no free refills. Meal is of ten wing dinner, chicken, shrimp, steak, prime rib (after 4pm), talapia, ribs
- Happy Hour – Monday – Friday 4-7pm at the bar only. 50% off everything. Applies to single servings of alcoholic beverages, no doubles, pitchers or bottles of wine. Does not apply to food
- Weekend beer bonanza
- Mexican Monday
- Tumbleweed Tuesday
- Wing it Wednesday
- Late night munchies
- All night happy hour